We know it can sometimes be difficult to ask for silence in a classroom. However, teachers have the option to place their group members in “read-only” status. This means a group member can read posts within the group, but cannot post a message to the entire group or reply to posts. Read-Only is a great tool to teach digital citizenship!
Note: When in read-only status, the group member can still send direct messages to the group owner and co-teacher(s), take quizzes and turn in assignments.
How to put all group members in read-only status
- From the group’s page, click the “Members” tab option at the top of the communication stream.
- At the top of the page, click the “Set All Members to” button.
- Select “Read-Only”.
Note: You can take members off Read-Only at any time by changing the “Set All Members to” option to “Contributor”.
How to put a specific group member in read-only status
- From the group’s page, click the “Members” tab at the top of the communication stream.
- Click on the member’s name.
- In the right sidebar, set the user’s “Access” to “Read Only”.